Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Cheese souffle + Iced Peach Tea + Warm, hospitable hostess = a jolly good time!

Mom, Merritt and I went to Aunt Patty's place for lunch yesterday. They live in Tarpon Springs close to Lake Tarpon - in fact, they can actually walk to it by way of a shaded boardwalk. We had a delightful time chatting with Aunt Patty and enjoying her talent for cooking a scrumptious luncheon. I tried cheese souffle for the first time; and also had a sprig of fresh mint in a glass of peach tea -- both are quite good! Aunt Patty relayed to us that while she was growing up, particularly in Georgia, that fresh mint and sugar was a must in any glass of iced tea.

It's rather amusing how, by just sitting before a laced tablecloth adorned with a lovely floral arrangement and table setting, encourages oneself to be prim and proper (of course, there is the "southern" hostesses lovely example too). Some of us at the table, me in particular, had to search HI and low for ultra-lady-like manners. I finally found mine tucked away and in need of updating. Merritt, on the other hand, was doing a fine job practicing her manners. During the course of the meal she enthusiastically piped up with, "Out to sea and back to me!" -- referring to the direction one's spoon is supposed to go while tasting soup. Now, that's a little too detailed for me, I prefer to just worry about keeping my mouth clean and not talking while chewing! So, I turned to Mom and commented, "I'm happy to be a hick." :o)


It was such a beastly hot day that after taking a stroll to view their aviary garden and snip mint leaves thriving from the asphalt driveway, Merritt and I were game for a swim. The pool was surprisingly cool and refreshing. While Mom and Aunt Patty conversed in the shade and I dried off in the sun, Merritt splashed about and found numerous new ways one could utilize an inflatable pool lounge "thingy". :o)

Of course, every time spent at Patty G.'s is delightful and this visit was no exception. I hope that one day I'll be half the hostess that she is.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha.
proud of hickness
last nite was nice.
we'll do it again.
see u 2mr night.
starbucks.woot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home